1. This probably goes without saying, but so-called “insiders” expect advertisers to “steer clear” of the #MeToo movement in Super Bowl ads. In fact, they may also be avoiding accusations that they’re not portraying women in quite the right light this year by taking the easier route . . . of just casting MEN.
Obviously, anything remotely political is pretty divisive these days. Audi and Anheuser-Busch lightly touched on issues like immigration and equal pay last year, and they got a lot of backlash for it.
2. The M&Ms ad where Danny DeVito plays a human version of the red M&M is out. He walks around asking people stuff like, “Do you want to eat me?”
3. Peyton Manning stars in a commercial for Universal Studios theme park.
4. Amazon has an action-packed ad hyping their upcoming “Jack Ryan” show, starring John Krasinski from “The Office”. The show premieres in August.
5. Did you know that Anheuser-Busch controls “exclusive category rights” on the Super Bowl . . . meaning that no other alcohol can advertise during the game? Well, they do.
But Yellow Tail wine is trying to work around that for the second straight year by buying up local ad spots in 80 markets . . . however, all those local buys add up, and it gets to be even MORE expensive than buying one national ad.
6. Dr. Oz will star in a commercial for Turkish Airlines. If you didn’t know, he’s a Turkish native . . . and an actual doctor, if you can believe it.
7. The final version of the Doritos / Mountain Dew ad with Peter Dinklage and Morgan Freeman doing a rap battle with the help of Busta Rhymes and Missy Elliott is out. It’s unclear if there will be additional follow-up spots or not.