If you’re willing to brave Omicron, it’s NATIONAL POPCORN DAY, so a lot of movie theaters are giving it out for free. Or just pop some yourself if you’re staying in. A recent poll found it’s the #1 must-have for a “perfect movie night.” Here are a few more facts for National Popcorn Day . . .
1. Only 8% of us HATE popcorn. 92% love it, or at least like it.
2. Even with the variety we have now, butter and salt are still our favorite flavors. Two recent polls put butter at number one, with about 30% of the vote in both. After butter and salt, white cheddar is next.
Caramel corn and kettle corn also ranked high. Only 2% of us prefer it plain with no flavoring.
3. Women like kettle corn more than men. 17% said yes, compared to 13% of guys.
4. Movie theater popcorn is our favorite type. But if we’re making it at home, our favorite brands are Orville Redenbacher and Pop Secret. The brand Act 2 placed third.
5. Not all types of corn are poppable. The “hull” or skin on the kernel has to be thick enough to let pressure build up. So they use a specific type of corn for popping.
6. Popcorn can shoot three feet in the air when it pops. And it pops into two basic shapes . . . butterfly or mushroom. Butterfly is more common. Mushroom is when the whole thing looks like one round, fluffy cloud.
(National Today / SWNS / Popcorn.org)