The polling site YouGov.com released a list of ‘America’s Most-Liked Contemporary Actors.’
It’s a simple poll. They have hundreds of actors in their database, and they ask people whether they have a POSITIVE or NEGATIVE opinion of each. They also logged if people had a NEUTRAL opinion, or had never heard of them.
Then, they released the names of the 10 with the highest ratings. They are:
1. Morgan Freeman . . . Positive: 84%, Negative: 4%
2. Denzel Washington . . . Positive: 81%, Negative: 4%
3. Tom Hanks . . . Positive: 81%, Negative: 6%
4. Betty White . . . Positive: 80%, Negative: 4%
5. Sandra Bullock . . . Positive: 80%, Negative: 5%
6. Harrison Ford . . . Positive: 79%, Negative: 4%
7. Michael J. Fox . . . Positive: 75%, Negative: 5%
8. Will Smith . . . Positive: 74%, Negative: 11%
9. Bruce Willis . . . Positive: 74%, Negative: 5%
10. Jackie Chan . . . Positive: 72%, Negative: 5%
Apparently, they defined ‘contemporary’ as STILL LIVING, because this Top 10 could work as a list of America’s favorite actors from the late-’80s to early-’90s.
The average age of the Top 10 is 66 . . . and the youngest person on the list is WILL SMITH, who’s turning 50 this year. The oldest is BETTY WHITE at 96.
By the way, it’s shocking that 4% have a negative opinion of Betty. Maybe some people got annoyed with ‘The Great Betty White Career Resurgence of 2010.’
(Here’s the Top 10. And here’s their full list. Six actors are tied with Jackie Chan’s 72% rating . . . Samuel L. Jackson, Julia Roberts, Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, Sean Connery, and Dwayne Johnson.)
(But they all have different numbers in the other categories, so it’s unclear how they ranked them. Also, the numbers could change over time if they’re still collecting data.)